• Manage the preparation of periodic financial reporting for management and Finance Committee; ensuring reliability and accuracy.
• Manage and coordinate the operating and capital budget processes and design.
• Monitor the annual budget, as approved by Council.
• Provide oversight and guidance in the preparation of operating and capital budgets.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee the planning, preparation, justification, administration, analysis, forecasting, scheduling and timing of actions for the annual operating and capital budgets. Support departments on budget related questions.
• Direct the annual audit, prepare work plans and schedule, coordinate audit processes with external auditors and Finance staff and ensure the timely production and filing of all financial reports, including audited financial statements, Financial Information Return and other provincial and federal reporting requirements.
• Monitor actual expenditure/revenues variances from budget, ensuring that expenditures and revenues are in accordance with approved budget estimates and keep departments apprised of their budget status.
• Analyze, prepare and interpret financial reports for operation and capital in an accurate and timely manner for review and support of the Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer and departments.
• Coordinate the forecast of capital needs, identifying operational impacts, through the development of procedures and the Asset Management Plan.
• Oversee grant applications by the City and to the City programs, ensuring applicable reporting requirements and compliance with agreements.
• Monitor organizational cash flow projection, updating Treasurer of requirements for short and long term.
• Oversee periodic internal audits to verify adherence to City financial policies and controls
• Provides staff training and development formulation, and
• Coordinate and monitor associated work of Financial Analysts; including scheduling and organization.
• Manage employees in accordance with City policy and applicable collective agreements inclusive of ensuring satisfactory work performance, maintaining acceptable conduct and taking appropriate disciplinary actions.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Professional accounting designation-Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
• University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or related discipline.
• Five years management experience at a senior level, preferably in a municipal or corporate setting.
• Working knowledge of all statutory legislation and regulations; e.g. Municipal Act, Public Sector Accounting Standards, municipal finance, etc.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft including experience in Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Understanding of municipal governance principles and managerial best practices.
• Proficient in spreadsheets, databases, MS Office and financial software applications, knowledge of GP Dynamics is an asset.
• Leadership abilities to manage and guide employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are being used.
• Solid understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles.
• Interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Proven knowledge of financial forecasting and diagnosis.
• Strong analytical, reporting, and decision-making.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please provide a cover letter and resume highlighting your qualifications to:
Subject line 029-038-2022 Manager of Finance
The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.